Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Yuri Vizbor, "A Veteran's Tale", translation

Yuri Vizbor, "A Veteran's Tale"
Approximate translation by Andrei Soroker
http://pleasehelpmepayoffmyhouse.com/#play:10/english

We saw that deal at once
Two companies rising from the earth
They rolled up their sleeves
And began marching toward Vitaly Palych and me.

And the sun is simmering, let it burn to hell
And we've got no other fate.
And I whisper: "Hold on, Vitaly Palych,
Hold on, let them come closer, my dear friend."

The world is rarely at peace --
A piece of grass trembling in the gun-sight.
A small patch of sparse forest behind us --
Then a field, then the rest of the country lies.

The sun is simmering, let it burn to hell
And we've got no other fate
And I whisper "Hold on, Vitaly Palych,
Hold on, let them come closer, my dear friend."

Our trench is our last home,
It seems there won't be any others.
And the damned black uniforms
Are moving closer, like on slow-motion film.

The sun is simmering, let it burn to hell
And we've got no other fate.
And I scream: "Come on, Vitaly Palych!
Give it all you've got, my dear friend!"

My years are passing by like train cars,
But I'm certain to come there once a year --
Where the plough carefully avoids
A wistful plywood star.

Where the sun is simmering, let it burn to hell
Where we've had no other fate.
And I whisper "Forgive me, Vitaly Palych.
Forgive me for surviving, my dear friend."

No comments:

Post a Comment