Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Good Samaritan

On Sunday, right after we went to sleep around one or so, the honking started.

It would go for a while, maybe a minute, stop, and then resume. A wimpy honk, annoying like a mosquito. Right in front of our house.

I was halfway asleep, and I was dreaming of smashing the honker's windshield with a giant pick I have leaning against the fence, next to the gate. I was envisioning a drone strike hitting the most deserving target ever: the honker right outside my window.

What sort of a sick, demented being blows a horn for a half hour straight in the middle of the night in a residential neighborhood? I was dreaming of applying the giant pick all over the demented being's car, piercing the radiator, prying the tires off the rims.

And then: Bam! Bam!

Two shots, really close, into the air.

Immediately, the honking stopped. The car was trying to leave, but it wouldn't start. I looked outside — it was a maroon Saturn, cranking like crazy. It finally started and took off. A quiet night followed.

2 comments:

  1. Am I the only one stupid enough to ask if this is describing a crime in your neighborhood? In which case... no murder investigation? Ain't hard to kill someone in an immobile vehicle.

    Also, in which case, good. Bummer to lower property values.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Koji -- no murders, the neighbor with a handgun - whoever it is - just scared the honker away by firing into the air.

    It was funny at the time, but I realize now the narrative is kind of confusing.

    ReplyDelete